Rainy Day Maintenance: 5 Things to Do During the Next Rainy Day
The spring season is almost upon us in Knoxville and it can mean two definitive things for Knoxville residents: beautiful weather and lots of rain. A rainy day is the perfect occasion to take care of some maintenance, whether you are considering selling your West Knoxville home or of if you just want to do some routine maintenance.
- Check out your waterworks. Use the sporadic downpours to see if your gutters are properly functioning. Are the gutters functioning like the should be or are they clogged with leaves and debris? When the water leaves the downspouts, is it moving away from the house? You want to ensure that the water is moving away from your home, and not saturating your foundation.
- Do a walk-through of alarms. Take the time to check the functionality of your smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. Check to see each one is working and change the batteries. Important tasks like these are important and very easy to forget.
- Go looking for leaks. With mother nature’s help, a rainy day is a great time to make sure there are no leaks in your house. Go up to the attic and look for any potential leaks. If you find one, trace the droplet up to the source to see the point of origination.
- Maintain your refrigerator. Make sure the seals on your refrigerator are airtight. You can test this by closing a dollar bill in the door. If you are able to easily pull it out, the latch may need to be adjusted or the seal may need to be replaced. Also, take the time to vacuum out the back of your refrigerator if it has coils on the back. It should be done twice a year and will make your refrigerator run more efficiently.
- Organize your warranties and take inventory of your belongings. Organize all appliance warranties and take note of any maintenance that needs to be done. [The maintenance can me done on the next day you’re stuck inside due to mother nature!] By doing the required maintenance, you will keep the appliances in better working order, giving them a longer lifetime. Also, use this time to take inventory of you belongings. Consider using an inventory program. If for any reason you have to file a claim with your homeowner’s insurance, it will make the process easier.
Whether you are prepping to sell your West Knoxville home or if you just want to do some routine maintenance on your home, a rainy day in Knoxville is the perfect time to do it. What maintenance will you be doing on the next rainy day?