West Knoxville Home Sellers: What Major Home Repairs to Tackle First
When you’ve have finally it is time to sell your West Knoxville home, you want to make sure your home can beat the competition. Still, you may not have the necessary time and money to make absolutely every repair, so which repairs should you tackle? Check out the list below to see what major home repairs you should consider making before putting your West Knoxville home up for sale.
The Electrical System. Issues with your West Knoxville home’s electrical system can be among the most dangerous, due to the fact they can lead to fires and electrocution.
- Warning Signs: Lights that dim unexpectedly, when you plug something else in, like a vacuum. Circuit breakers that trip frequently. Outlets that are loose or that get hot.
- How to Check: Consult a licensed electrician. Explain to them the issues you have been having and make sure they check it thoroughly. Depending what they inspect, it will cost between $200-$500, but will offer much peace of mind.
- Replacement Cost: If your West Knoxville home needs its electrical system completely replaced it can cost anywhere from $5,000-$10,000, depending on many factors.
- How to Make It Last: Each year, turn each circuit breaker offer to prevent corrosion. Add new circuits to areas that take the heaviest electrical load.
The Roof. Though, many West Knoxville homeowners had to get new roofs due to the Spring 2011 Hail Storms, roof maintenance can lead to a whole slew of other problems, like mold and electrical problems.
- Warning Signs: Dampness or stains on ceilings. Missing roof shingles. Worn or smooth roof shingles. Green algae growing on roof shingles.
- How to Check: Have a roofer check your roof. It is usually a free service. However, check out the roofer’s reputation on AngiesList.com.
- Replacement Cost: $5,000-$15,000+
- How to Make It Last: Trim trees to be at least 10 feet away from the roof, this keeps squirrels from doing damage and allows moisture on the roof to dry quicker. Replace missing and damaged shingles immediately.
Aging Equipment. Old equipment, like heating and cooling systems can be expensive to operate on a monthly basis, but as long as it is operating safely there is not need to replace it.
- Warning Signs: Signs of corrosion. Heating or cooling systems that cycle on frequently to maintain the same thermostat temperature. Natural gas flames that burn any color but blue.
- How to Check: Consult a professional and have any problematic system checked out. See what the repair cost would be versus that of replacing it, and way how long the repair is anticipated to last.
- Replacement Cost: Depends on the type of equipment.
- How it Make it Last: Preform yearly maintenance. Have filters change regularly and lubricate any pumps.
Are you considering selling your West Knoxville home? Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with, I would be more than happy to help give you and honest and true assessment of your West Knoxville home in the current real estate market, or answer any questions you may have about selling. Give me a call at 865-696-9002 or send me an email. What repairs are you most concerned about making before putting your home on the market?